Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toaster Ovens

When I was registering for our wedding one of the things I was most excited about was registering for our toaster oven. Sounds lame, I know, but I had had some 'problems' with toaster ovens before and I really wanted one that I was familiar with i.e. identical to my parents or grandparents. A simple toast button, and a dial for the oven feature.

But instead, one day going to my then fiancees house, his mom presented us with a toaster oven she had got us at family dollar, or some kind of store like that. The kind of store where they don't let you return things.

I should have been grateful, it was spontaneously generous of her, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to find the one that I wanted.

And last night, my old 'problem' returned.

Yes my friends, I'm talking about a toaster oven fire. My third toaster oven fire in fact. And the second one with those stupid corn tortilla shells!

It wasn't as bad as my first toaster oven fire, where those darn shells filled the entire kitchen of the house where I was nannying with smoke. As I stood there helplessly looking for the fire estinguisher. **Note to parents- ALWAYS tell your babysitter where that is kept, how was I supposed to know it was in the laundry room!?!** So yeah, I stood there helplessly watching the flames shoot up towards the cabinets after telling the kid to run outside. Luckily the mom had house painters over who ran in and threw the whole thing in the sink. So yes, quite embaressing. I had to tell the fire trucks that came that it was ok and they weren't needed.

Fire number 2 was the sad result of my bagel thins breakfast at then fiancees parents house one morning. I guess I just can't toast thin things very well.

And fire 3 occured last night while I was toasting the last tortilla shell for my dinner. I was sitting at the table talking to Hubbs when I glanced over and could see flames arising inside the toaster. He said I just stared at it repeating 'there's a fire, there's a fire, there's a fire' in a Rain Mannish type way. But Hubbs unplugged it, and somehow blew out the fire. And dinner was eating without tortilla shells. But at least I didn't burn anything down.

The first tortilla shell fire inspired me to write a letter to El Paso shells company telling them they should have a warning on their box of super flammable shells, which consequently earned me 2 free boxes, score!, but there will be no letter this time. First time shame on you, second time shame on me I guess. On the other hand, more potential free shells... eh?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Anne I was cracking up laughing picturing the toaster oven fires. Oh dear. (of course, only funny in retrospect-I can imagine it was quite scary at the time). Good luck with that!