Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Happy Easter

Happy Easter, a few days late!
We celebrated Easter the day before by having dinner with Doug's parents. We hid eggs with cheerios and dried berries inside for August. He pretty soon got the hang of it and enjoyed his little treats.
The next day was real Easter and we went to the service at our church. We were a few minutes late and I was annoyed all the Chr/Easters had filled up the main area so we had to sit in the overflow, but then again, our fault for being late, and if you're only going to church twice a year it was a good service to be at, so I'm glad they had good seats. I'm pretty particular about the music for holidays like Easter and Christmas and I tend to want more traditional songs. That's what you get when you're a pipe organ builder's daughter and were raised Lutheran I guess. I'm pretty sure I've talked about it before, but it just doesn't seem like Easter without Lift High the Cross or Jesus Christ is Risen Today. And instead, to my horror, they sang some sort of punk-esque song from a megaphone. But by the end of a moving message and closing it off with a song that of course now I can't remember which one, but it was very tear-inducing at the time, and all over a very good message and Easter morning celebrating the risen Lord!
We headed home and Doug went and took a nap to get rid of a headache, I was on baby lunch-duty, and then made a salad to take to my parent's for Easter dinner. After the boys' naps we headed to my parents' house.
My parents had invited over an elderly man who they said was lonely. And we had a nice dinner together. This guy was interesting, 85 years old and "between wives." He found some lady through online dating "my lady friend" in her 30s and 2 months later they're planning on getting married. Hmmmm. I hope it works out for him! Kinda nervous for him, but he's a stubborn old guy that's for sure.
Doug and I have differing views on these religious holidays. I mentioned next year I wanted to observe Lent and Advent and he said he didn't really want to, "Jesus is alive everyday of the year" and that Lent is just "giving up stuff". But I said it's more the preparing your heart with specific Bible verses and anticipation, to really let the true meanings of Good Friday and Easter sink in. It'd be nice to do together, but I could also do it myself. These days there are so many apps and little devotionals. Last year I had the Advent candles and readings, but we barely ate dinner together that month for work or whatever reasons and never did it at all. Will try again this year!

1 comment:

  1. I totally felt the same way about our Easter service. Great message for a seeker type service (& still nice for us to hear) AND followed by a gritty rock song! But. At least was still there celebrating Jesus redemption with others. But I'd be lying if I wasn't a little sad when mom brought home the palm leaf the week before and wanting hymns on Easter Sunday! :(

    That guy was marrying a 30 something??! Wowza

    ReplyDelete