Tuesday, November 7, 2017

3 years!

Doug and I celebrated our 3 year anniversary last week. It feels good being in a marriage that feels very steady and solid. It was nice to be able to 'get away' for the evening.
I worked on our actual anniversary, but when I came home my mom had babysat and she made us an oatmeal cake (the same one she made for our wedding day!) and Doug had a nice variety of little treats for me in the Hawaiian theme to remind me of our honeymoon (he's even wearing his Hawaii hat).
The 'traditional' gift for 3 years is leather, sometimes we do the traditional gifts, sometimes not. This year I ordered a custom leather bookmark for Doug kinda last minute so it wasn't even here on time, but it said "We are only 3 chapters in, but I love where our story is going." Awwww. What I'm most excited for is this anniversary album that I just ordered, it fits in perfectly with my 5 year journal I keep for myself, and now a mama's 5 year journal I'm writing stuff in about August. I love that one day we will be able to sit down and look back at all our memories together. It just came today so we are going to start filling it out.
Friday night we had Liz and Mark (and Ben) over for dinner, that was fun. I hope our boys love playing together! Ben kept trying to hug August and Liz said the next day he kept asking about him and wanting to hug him more. Sweet.
Turns out he got his wish sooner than expected! Doug's parents were supposed to come watch August Saturday so we could go to a movie and dinner, but his mom got sick so we were babysitter-less. We ended up asking Liz and Mark to watch August (and yes, Liz a true bestie at 9 months pregnant) said yes so we could still go out and celebrate.
She sent me these pics of our boys having dinner while we were at dinner.
We went to this kinda fancy re-done restaurant The White Horse Inn.
We lived it up with appetizers of fried Brussel sprouts with parmesan, fried goat cheese with a raspberry sauce, Doug had the jerk chicken pasta, and I had salmon, and then we had two dessert, a plate of 'world famous' cookies (mine are still better tho), and oatmeal pie which was sadly not very good at all. But we talked about life, marriage, goals, and it was wonderful.
We are trying something new during the weeks of naming a day 'date night' and even if we don't go out, it will mean putting August to bed and sitting down with tea or something and making time together to reconnect and enjoy each other, it's getting too easy to get lost in the parenthood monotony and chores and everything going on. So I think this will be a nice idea to stay strong and connected.
I love you Doug, I can't wait for so many more years together!

1 comment:

  1. We'll take him any time! Unless I'm in the hospital giving birth that is...😂
    That's a good idea of doing makeshift "day dates" or just some quiet time together even if at home. It is very easy to just let scant alone time turn into "tv time" or something less meaningful!

    ReplyDelete