Monday, June 12, 2017

Hawaii - part 4

The next day we went to Hanauma bay which is a nature preserve. The water is super clear and it's one of the best places on the island for snorkeling. I mainly stayed in the shade with August while Doug snorkeled and swam with turtles. I did take a turn later, I'm not a huge fan of the ocean, or fish touching me, or being underwater so it worked out well.
After that we went to hike Diamond Head Crater. It was a 45 min hike up and part through a tunnel and up a big flight of stairs. The view was so rewarding!
view down to Waikiki and Honolulu
Then we went down to the famous Waikiki beach to watch the sunset. (we saw not 1, not 2, but 3 brides getting pictures taken!)
The next morning we quickly packed up, check out was 10am but the house cleaner showed up at 9:30, rrr, she was super nice and just waited outside but we felt kinda rushed. We didn't fly out till the evening so we had a whole day to spend.
We drove up to the North Shore to watch surfers and get lunch and just see a bit more of Hawaii.
We had this amazing lunch at this vegetarian place, The Beet Box, I had some burrito with curry veggies, SO good
And we went to the Dole Plantation. This place was started by some guy, someone Dole I forget his name in his early 20s who moved here from Boston, bought land, and just started farming pineapples and eventually was the biggest pineapple exporter at the time. Wow, in my 20s I was in and out of school and really not doing a whole lot with my life! Anyway, it was a cool tour and we got to experience August's first train ride and taste delicious Dole whip a kind of pineapple sherbet. Mmmm
colorful bark of a Eucalyptus tree
We spent the rest of the day driving around the other side of Oahu and eventually made our way to the airport
We flew through the night back home, August slept the whole time, Doug and I slept as well as you can on an airplane, and we got home safe and sound. I'm happy we were able to go to Hawaii again, and I'm happy we took August!

No comments:

Post a Comment