Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Annie Homemaker

Today I went up to mom's to learn how to can. Mom had already started without me, but I helped can the rest of a half bushel of tomatoes.
It wasn't "hard", but time consuming, and uses a lot of water!
Oh my gosh mom's garden puts mine to so much shame. This is my first garden and all, but mom has huge tomatoes and the stems are so thick and hearty and mine are just not. Next year maybe I'll try the raised beds, but I just don't have the space mom has (and hard work drive?). Oh well.
She had one basil plant that grew like 4 feet tall and was overflowing with leaves, so we made pesto.
I followed some easy recipe I just googled, it was 1/4 c. toasted almonds (but I did toast mine a little too long :(, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 cups basil leaves (I think my huge pile was more than that), salt and pepper to taste and a dash nutmeg all whizzed around in the food processor. Easy. I took home half the recipe and plan to have it over hot penne pasta tomorrow with some grilled chicken on top. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo I want homemade pesto pasta, that sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete