Thursday, August 29, 2013

food & coffee

or caw-fee as my sister-in-law says :)
I decided that on Mondays and Tuesdays I am going to be a coffee drinker. After practically dozing off during my first clinical, and my teacher talking to me in the hall and saying I looked tired, I decided it might be necessary. I never wanted to be a coffee drinker, but maybe on these 2 days for the sake of not getting kicked out of school I'm going to have to bite the bullet.
Some might say, Oh my gosh Anne, how can you not like coffee?!?
Reasons I don't like coffee:
1- tastes terrible
2- makes your teeth yellow/brown
3- have you ever smelled after-coffee breath??
4- can be an expensive habit
5- unnecessary extra cals
and a huge reason,
6- I DO NOT want to be one of those caffeine addicted people who walk around like a zombie demanding coffee!
So anyway, I got one of those travel cups. I like it, BPA free, keeps it warm-ish, and most important leak/spill proof.
I stirred in instant coffee powder, a scoop of cocoa powder, a bit of sugar, water and almond milk- and it was doable. I went to look at those cappuccino mixes but they were all just sugar and partially hydrogenated fats. No thanks.
So far mental health is off to a good start. It's different, we just 'hang out' with our patients and ask if they are thinking about suicide. My patient was even kind of funny and we were joking around.
My stomach was growling so much in clinical the other day I came right home and made more portable snacks:
These trail mix cookies. I'm not sure what she meant by "chewy" mine were so crumbly I ended up making it into granola. This 'dough' was like the most tasty thing I have ever tasted in my life. So good.
Come to think of it, I didn't have almond butter so I think I used a bit more oil. Maybe that was why they wouldn't stick. And note-to-self, 'wax paper' is not a good substitute for 'parchment paper' I learned as the kitchen slowly filled with smoke!
I also made this blueberry walnut banana bread that I love.
Yum.
The last thing I made for dinner was Mexican Lasagne, I love this recipe.
one layer of beans
for the second layer
cheesy and delicious
So 85* days aren't the most optimal for running the oven, but the food got made, and then it was back to studying!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the coffee club! :)

    That walnut blueberry bread looks incredible, yum!

    Also, I can't wait to be lake house neighbors someday!

    ReplyDelete