Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lois's Wedding Weekend

Last weekend was my friend Lois's wedding. It was up north so we drove up Friday night. On Saturday the whole gang took the ferry to Mackinac Island. We rented bikes and rode the 8 miles around the island, stopping for a few pics along the way.

The girls along the shore.
Most of my friends knew what was going on with Andrew and I, and everyone made an effort to include me. I never felt like a third wheel or anything. There was one awkward time when a guy I hadn't seen in awhile asked me where my other half was. For some reason I was thinking he was teasing me about my best friend Liz who had just walked away, and I told him "she just went to find a frisbee". He looked at me awkwardly and then I realized what he had really meant. So I told him, but other than that, no real problems. We spent all afternoon at the island and then went over to the groom's family rental house for a bonfire and hang out.
The next day was Lois's wedding! It had rained all night, but was perfect when we woke up. In the morning, I spent some time sitting on a swing with a friend talking while our friends played frisbee on the hotel lawn. Then some of us got a quick lunch and then headed out to the wedding.
The wedding was beautiful. I cried. But it wasn't anything crazy like that first wedding. I cried as we sang some hymns. Two of my favorites:
I love this verse from Great is Thy Faithfulness: "Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!" I'm thankful I serve a God who never changes, never fails, and gives me the strength I need for the day and hope for the next.
And another all time favorite, In Christ Alone:
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fulness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.
And I cried during the vows. It was hard to think about how not too long ago Andrew stood there promising those things to me. I really feel like he meant them at the time.
A couple more wedding pics:



My friend Lois had experienced the loss of someone she loved, and it has been amazing to see how God provided in His faithful lovingkindness and sovereignty. It makes me feel hopeful that there could still be joy in my future too.

2 comments:

  1. Lois looked so gorgeous! So glad you had a great time at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Lois! :) What was the first wedding you went to that I'm sure was emotionally crazy?

    ReplyDelete