Thursday, August 15, 2024

Birthday trip to CO

 I may or may not have a history of returning birthday gifts. 

Which is odd for me because I would say gift giving is one of my love "speaking" languages, but it's not a receiving language. I've been working on it. 

But anyway, this year turning 43, Doug decided to get me something he knew I would love. A trip to visit someone! I decided to go visit my brother. 

We saw him and his family in June. (and actually he came for my Grandpa's funeral which was unexpected in July). But normally I only get to see him 1x a year. 

Plus he'd just moved and I wanted to see his life in his new space and maybe have some 1 on 1 time with his girls. I remember when my first niece was born and I was just obsessed with her. Then you have your own kids, and it just changes. Not the love of course, but the availability, I would say. Whenever we see them I am busy watching my own kids, or they are busy playing together as cousins (which is also something I super value). But I do have a sense of fomo or just sadness that things are different. 

He picked me up late from the airport and we got started right away with good chats. The next day the girls were actually at their grandparents so we went on a bike ride through their new neighborhood. 

The girls came back and we all went to the pool. Then out for a tasty Mexican dinner and then cake and icecream at their house.


The next day I had really wanted to hike Horsetooth. I hadn't done it in years. So Joel and I and the 2 oldest girls went. It was a gorgeous day and such good exercise.




See the horse's teeth?




We went out for smoothies and came home and showered and relaxed. Then I spent time with the girls while Joel and his wife had a date night. The girls and I made cookies and watched movies. It was nice. I do wish I saw them more often, there was that element of distance/unfamiliarity, but I enjoyed my time with them and was thankful for it. 

Then breakfast together the last day and back to the airport! Short but sweet visit, and was very thankful for it. And of course, thankful for another year of life.




No comments:

Post a Comment