Thursday, September 19, 2013

failed

Yesterday I went for my pre-employment physical and I failed the respiratory fit test :(
Apparently they "fit" you for a mask to use when a patient comes in with TB since it is an airborne droplet transmission disease. So the nurse put this hood over my head like a hazmat person, and then had this diffuser that she put a chemical on and then she squeezed it and I was supposed to stick my tongue out and breathe and tell her when I could taste/smell it. She said that it tastes bitter and she can always tell when it gets to them because they make a puckery face. So she's squeezing and squeezing and I'm sitting there waiting and waiting.
Then she takes off my hood and asks me if I like spicy food, and I say 'yes' (and in my head I'm thinking how I want to answer like "no---- I LOVE it"). And she says that most people only need like 5 squeezes and I had gotten like 40. So it wouldn't work on me and I failed. I was surprised because don't most people like spicy foods?? She told me almost all Indians fail the test too, lol.
All it really means is that IF we ever get a TB patient (they are rare), I can't just wear the cute little mask everyone else will be wearing- I'll have to wear a huge spacesuit helmet thing with my own air tank. I can just imagine it now me bumbling around doing darth vader impressions :)

6 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm picturing you in this spacesuit doing Darth Vader impressions right now. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I fail this test every year! I thought it was just me, maybe its a Wigton thing! The first time I had been sick lately, so I thought that was it. She kept spritzing for what seemed like forever, as I look over all my other friends in their hoods are saying "gross" making disgusted faces, Haha. I'm a robot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could get Joel to take this test to prove that theory!! And I am surprised because you don't like spicy foods right??

      Delete
    2. If only we could get Joel to take this test to prove that theory!! And I am surprised because you don't like spicy foods right??

      Delete
    3. No, I LOVE spicy food ;) jk, I'm not a hater of it, but if I do order spicy I usually make sure its mild or my cheeks will get crazy hot :) yeah, if only there was a way Joel could take this test....

      Delete
    4. What!?! Wasn't joel even calling you you 'bland' for awhile? Or blandabeth? ;)

      Delete