Monday, January 23, 2017

the nursery tour

I guess I never did a post on August's nursery, here it is:
here was the room before
I put the pallet wall up myself. Real pallets can be dirty and full of chemicals, so we used wood from my dad from a old pipe organ crate he had made. I cut all the boards in the garage with a saw and used the nail gun to put them up
I went thru with "stainable" caulk and patched hundreds of little nail holes. Then we stained it to discover it wasn't stainable at all! It looked awful. It was almost polka dotted. So then Doug went thru and with a pocket knife scraped out all my putty and put in this wax crayon stain that matched the color of the stain we used. It was a huge pain. But looks great now.
I got this lantern online, it had been a kerosene lamp but they altered it to be electric. I wanted navy, but when it came it was a bright teal blue. So then I spray painted it this nice hunter green, turned out great I think!
We painted the walls a soft light brown. We chose an outdoorsy theme so lots of wood and nature. The park posters were from Amazon, and I did some free Bible verse printables. I got all the frames from Wal-mart. There is our little mushroom bank from Austria. The Jesus poster Doug had already, it's really cool, His whole face is made up of Bible verses and some tiny drawing of like a shepherd with his lambs.
The crib was Jenny Lind from amazon, I got the mobile pieces in a garland and strung them into this mobile myself- it plays 'the teddy bears picnic which my Dad always sang to us, and the quilt was handmade by my aunt.
more National park art over the changing station.
Bookcase and rocking chair from Craigslist.
Doug made this curtain rod from an old paddle.
This is how his room looks now, with the rocking chair that I was rocked in as a baby!
I love this sweet little room. I used to go in there before he was born and rock the cat. Look at all his tiny clothes. Look at his books and imagine reading and singing to him. Look at the art and hope he'd be a little boy going on adventures with us. I get so sad every time Doug talks about moving.
Such a cute room and he hasn't spent one night in it yet. We use his room for changing and getting dressed, but so far he sleeps in a little side bed in our room.
My friend Liz's husband made this side-bed for their son and we're borrowing it. It's so great having him close. Doctors recommend babies be with mom and dad until 6 months, supposed to make them "feel more secure", and lessens the chances of SIDS. I love having him close. I'd planned on transitioning him at 10 weeks into his own room before I went back to work, but he's still getting up 1-2x per night, so I haven't. It's pretty easy, I hear him stirring and wiggling, just change his diaper, nurse, and we go right back to sleep. He's never really laid there crying, so that's great.
A mini tour of this crib, haha, a pad to catch diaper leaks, mostly catches spit-ups; a pile of diapers and wipes by the feet, a trash bag hangs at the end for dirties; he's swaddled at night and gets a blanket on top; he's got a little turtle mirror there he can admire himself; little mittens for when he wiggles his hands out and they are cold; and a flashlight we used to use a lot when he was little to peek at him; a white noise machine (we already sleep with a fan, but sometimes if he's fussy he gets the waves too); and recently a piece of cardboard wedged between our beds. A couple times I've woken up to see he's inch-wormed himself into the crack, he definitely can't fall through, I just worried he'd smother himself in my covers.
Anyway, I love having him close. I stink at side-lying nursing so still have to sit up and get the Brest-friend pillow and nurse, but it's super quick and easy. I think if he was in his own room by the time the monitor picked him up he'd be crying too loud and it would be hard to calm back down, I love how quick it is to grab him or sometimes just reach over and pat his head and he'll go back to sleep. I don't think he'll stay till 6 months, but when he can sleep thru the night, out he'll go. Doug says we can re-do the wall at the next house, but it was so much work! We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. His nursery is adorable!! You guys did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete