Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vacation part 1

I'm back from vacation, boo! It was a great time and SO good to see my brother and sister again.
Saturday I flew into Denver. No exciting seat mates. Although I did witness a seat mixup where a guy did not know there were assigned seats on the airplane. Really? Later I wondered if this guy didn't know how to read, because when the flight attendant asked him his seat, he just showed her the ticket even though she was like 3 seats away and had to put on her glasses. Sad!
Joel and his wife Michelle picked me up. Our first stop was a fundraiser they already had plans to attend so I went along. It was for The Alpha Center in Colorado. This place is amazing, it gives medical services, all for free, and supports women who are facing unplanned pregnancies. One of their friends is a nurse there and they went to support her. How wonderful to be able to be in a place that serves people like that.
The next day we were driving and I was thinking about my life and praying for God to use my life in a way to serve others. I've never really felt a strong vocational calling. The only 'job' I ever really wanted was to be a wife and mother. I loved being a wife, but I'm not anymore, and I never got to be a mother. I hope God still has plans for me in those areas, but if not, I hope He can use me in another way. God has opened a door for me to become a nurse, and I do look forward to seeing where that will take me. As we were driving I thought of any kind of thing God had on my heart, and I remembered how I have here and there felt a nudge to prison ministry. I don't know why, thinking about it actually scares me, but just as I was thinking about it --- we drove by a prison. Not kidding. So, we'll see, I just want to remain open to what God has for me.
Back to the trip: that night we drove down to Pueblo and slept on a boat. I slept in that little nook in front of the driver, the boat had it's cover on and it was a bit like being in a coffin, but not too claustrophobic. The next day their friends' parents took us out on the boat. So fun! I got to wakeboard for the first time in 6 years, and it was so much more fun than waterskiing. And tubing, love it!

(my brother flying off the tube), haha
After our lake-day adventure we headed to Glenwood Springs. They have a 'hot springs' pool. The pool was huge!
I tried not to be bitter about being nickel and dimed, but I seriously was. It was expensive in the first place and then you had to pay extra for a locker, and a 'bubble chair'. I must have forgotten to put a quarter in my swimsuit, so no bubble chairs for us. We did swim the length of the pool and hung out in the extra hot side for awhile. So it was nice.
After the pool we went to our hotel for the last night of sleep in a bed, and the last shower for a week. The next morning we checked out and headed on our way. First we stopped in Grand Junction to catch a matinee before we crossed into Utah. We saw:
"The film examines the question, "If Obama wins a second term, where will we be in 2016?" Across the globe and in America, people in 2008 hungered for a leader who would unite and lift us from economic turmoil and war. True to America's ideals, they invested their hope in a new kind of president, Barack Obama. What they didn't know is that Obama is a man with a past, and in powerful ways that past defines him--who he is, how he thinks, and where he intends to take America and the world. Love him or hate him, you don't know him. -- (C) Official Site"

It was a really well made documentary. I recommend making an informed choice this November!
After the movie we got back in the car and headed to Moab, Utah... to be continued ...


1 comment:

  1. I love vacation recaps so much and that pool looks amazing! I know what you mean though, I hate being ripped off when I already spent so much money!

    My dad does prison ministry so if you have any questions let me know. The stories are heartbreaking but it so interesting to hear how they came to faith!

    ReplyDelete