Friday, February 22, 2019

play area mini update

So for August's 2nd birthday my mother-in-law got him 2 little kid sized plastic chairs. No table, just the chairs. I had wanted to eventually get a little kid sized craft table, but was holding off because I didn't want my house more cluttered. Anyway, the chairs arrived.
And he loved them. He would drag them around, and up to my coffee table, 'mama, sit down!' 'dadda, sit down!' Very cute.
However, my dad made me this coffee table and I've already been so depressed about how easily it has become covered in scratches so quickly. (What the heck- I thought walnut was supposed to be one of the strongest woods?!?) So I did not want it to become any more scratched. And also I hate gaudy bright colored plastic furniture, so I sold those couple chairs on facebook and bought a nice wood kids table with 2 matching chairs.
Helping daddy put it together.
I don't really have a "before" picture, but that little shelf that has junk baskets (tape and batteries, etc) was where the table is now and there was just that blanket crate and lamp where it is now. So it actually fits in pretty well.
Doug's been getting weekly books from the library near his work and was just having them everywhere in the house, so I got a little $6 bin from TJ Maxx and made a stencil.
And now here's his little nook.
Maybe eventually I'll put up a couple little floating corner shelves, but no rush now.
Doug's parents have been on vacation so I'm sure they'll notice their chairs are gone. I feel kinda bad, but I also feel like I should be allowed to have things I like in my house and not things I don't. And this just works better. I like that this living room area is kind of a 'play area' and the other living room can stay more toy-free/grown up space. When you have a small house these things are important!

2 comments:

  1. At first I read that like Doug's been getting books *for himself* at the library and leaving them all over and so you stuck his books over in the kiddy corner, lol

    Tables and chairs look nice. Where'd you get them? We got a similar little kit from IKEA.

    What did Dad say about the table scratching? Maybe it needs a different finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah sometimes he does too! They are from amazon, Melissa & Doug. Dad just said to have it refinished after the kiddos are grown!

      Delete