Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Babymoon #2!

As much as I want passport stamps, the time in which we could still fly (before 34 wks) was a limiting factor, as was Doug's Zika fear. My mom agreed to watch August, but for a max of 4 days, so we needed to stay somewhere close too. So a co-worker of his had recommended Gulf Shores, Alabama. We did a little research, it looked nice on the gulf of Mexico, would be warmer than it is here, and places to walk, explore, without being super touristy. So we booked it!
First stop was lunch in Pensacola after we landed, to my joy, they had a Tijuana Flats there so I was able to get these DELICIOUS cookie dough flautas. Mmmm.
Then we drove the hour down to the Gulf Shores. This first day was the sunniest and warmest and we spent the rest of the day outside walking a long the beach and on this boardwalk through a nature preserve.
Our airbnb was so cute, and I love love loved that it was right on the water.
these built-in bunk beds made me wish August was with us!
We had dinner somewhere and watched the sunset.
The next day was overcast and actually a little on the cold side. We went to the little zoo in the city and paid a couple extra bucks for the kangaroo and lemur encounters.
This zoo also made me wish August was with us! The city was super family-friendly.
Doug ate a bacon cheeseburger on donut buns. Then we went to this other place so I could eat something non-donut, haha
We got smoothies a couple times from this place, and liked the fresh ingredients. The floor in this place was astro turf and it had games and just a fun, laid-back feel with good food.
Took another walk on another little nature loop, checked out an arcade Doug had read about, talked with August and mom & dad on the phone, and spent the night in relaxing with some HGTV and other cable shows that we never get to see as we don't have cable.
Our last day was just partly cloudy and warmer so that was good luck for us!
Did my BSF homework to the sound of crashing waves.
Then we headed to Bon Secour Wildlife Preserve and went on a long dune walk that eventually led out to the gulf.
We went to Lulu's for lunch (the daughter of Jimmy Buffet) and while we were there we noticed all these people dressed up and they were having a 'vow renewal' event outside! Doug is always talking about wanting to renew our vows, and since it was happening right outside, we did it! So that was kinda fun.
After that we had read about a place where you can design your own ice-cream and then they blast it with liquid nitrogen to freeze it. Anyone who knows me can pretty much guess designing my own ice cream is like a dream come true, so we had to go there.
Anyway, turns out the flavors and mix-ins were not really what I was hoping, so it was a let-down.
Of course I still ate it, but my dream of creating my own icecream continues...
Another long walk on the beach.
One last sunset.
We had a nicer dinner, then home, relaxing, packed up our things, and in the morning headed home. We were happy to see our boy (who didn't even miss us at all) but it was good to see him and be home. I really loved the Gulf Shores and hope to be back someday!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great idea! I am always thinking there must be some way to get to a beach for cheap. Michelle and I should totally do this... we really need a break, without the kids!

    So it looks like it was too cold this time of year to actually go in the beach? Ah well, still pretty views.

    The vow renewal thing is interesting. I'm curious why Doug is so interested in doing that? I don't really know anything about it, but I'd heard of that and always assumed it was for like, couples who'd had infidelity or something, and were trying to get a fresh start. Guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn’t exactly say cheap, but it was a good trip! Yeah I thought the same thing too about vow renewals! And I just hear dad’s voice in my head ‘what you think the first time didn’t take?’ Lol. It was actually kinda special, but yeah wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t right in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds super relaxing! Glad you guys had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think your "baby boy did not even miss you". Just not at the moment you came home. Too much fun with grandma and grandpa!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't tell me you renewed your vows?! That's nice. But your comment about what your dad might have said did make me laugh. 😆 .I still refer to that joke now and again.
    And those hallway bunk beds are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I guess I meant cheaper than going to Mexico :-) And as I get older, I agree with more and more of Dad's views, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, Dad has some pretty solid views! I'm not sure, some of those 'get-aways' can be a pretty good deal!

      Delete