Wednesday, July 12, 2023

horsing around

 One of Doug's former co-workers had been inviting him over to see his horses, so last weekend we made the hour drive over there. 

And we ended up all getting a horse ride!




Not Miss Lucy, but she was able to alternately pet the horse and then be afraid of it, haha








It was a fun day. 

I couldn't help but remember my love of horses as a girl. We had 14 acres so I would beg my parents for a horse. They would often arrange for me to go to my dad's cousin who lived nearby to help groom and ride her horses. Now I can see why we never got into it. It is a very time consuming and expensive hobby/sport/pet. This co-worker said they had spent $100k on their riding stable. 😱 And spend hours and hours grooming, mucking, etc. 

Always you get up on a horse and just imagine yourself flying like the wind, but it's always just a slow walk in a circle too, lol. And of course while my kiddos were up on the horses back I was glad it was just a slow steady walk with the owner holding the reigns, the nurse in me is too cautious about broken necks and fear of being stomped on. 

The visit ended in a trip for ice cream and it was a lovely little half day trip :) 

1 comment:

  1. I never understood the appeal of horses. I guess as a kid wanting to be a cowboy. Michelle wanted a horse too but she took the older girls to ride on one up in Estes Park and left glad she didn't own one. I told her, much better to let someone else maintain it and go occasionally! Maybe someday there will be a VR app for horse rides. You can prop up a fan, and picture yourself whooshing along for 50% of the fun and 100x the safety. :-)

    ReplyDelete